Historic Sites -2
10. Fort Cummings Historical Marker
NW corner of Lake Shore Way and W Pierce Street
Erected in 1966 by the Polk County Historical Commission, this marker pays tribute to Fort Cummings, a military fort used by US soldiers during the Second Seminole War.
13. Adams Estate (private property- please visit www.adamsestate.com for rental information)
2222 Lake Alfred Road
This beautiful estate was the property of Dr. Charles W. Adams, a dentist who came to Lake Alfred from Detroit, Michigan in the 1910s. Dr. Adams played an important role in the citrus industry in Lake Alfred and was also a stockholder in Lake Alfred’s first bank.
16. Oak Grove Cemetery
Corner of US Hwy 17/92 and Experiment Station Road
The earliest known grave in the cemetery is that of Rev. Henry Adams, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Lake Alfred from 1915 until his death on March 2, 1916
19. Lang Sun Country Groves
5900 US Hwy 17/92
This location was originally the site of a business owned by the Doerr family of Lake Alfred. Mr. Doerr made and sold baskets while his stepson ran a small tavern here. In 1951 citrus grower Joseph Lang and his wife Mary rented the property with the dream of opening a fruit stand. The Langs eventually bought the property and the original three small buildings were torn down in the 1970s to make room for the present building.
11. Crippen’s Bar (now Ron’s Tackle Box, LLC)
380 S Lake Shore Way
This building dates back to the 1950s and has been home to several taverns and cafes. Before becoming Ron’s Tackle Box in 1998 the building changed owners and names frequently with most businesses lasting only one or two years. The exception was Crippen’s Bar which operated from 1962 - 1973 and was owned by George S. Crippen.
14. Krystal Rok Stucco Company
312 N Buena Vista Drive
This company was established in about 1924 by William H. Shinn and his son Charles M. Shinn. It was one of the largest stucco plants in Florida. Its product was used throughout the state, however, there are only a few buildings left in the city made from Krystal Roc Stucco. In the 1930s the business converted to a fertilizer plant known as Grower’s Fertilizer Cooperative.
17. UF Citrus Experiment Station (now UF/IFAS Citrus Research and Education Center)
700 Experiment Station Road
The Citrus Experiment Station was established in 1917 and is now the largest facility in the world devoted to researching only one commodity. In 1948 Florida Citrus Commission researchers E. L. Moore, L. G. MacDowell, and C. D. Atkins patented the process for making frozen concentrated orange juice. More information about the history of UF/IFAS Citrus Research and Education Center can be found at https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/about-us/history/
12. Mackay Gardens and Lakeside Preserve
945 Mackay Blvd
Built in 1917, the Mackay historic home is a Gustav Stickley design and was the winter residence of prominent Scottish businessman Alexander Mackay and his family. Mr. Mackay served on the board of directors of Shell Oil Company and was also a successful citrus grower in Lake Alfred and Polk County. MGLP is also one of two Lake Alfred stops along the Polk County History and Heritage Trail Citrus Label Tour.
15. Fruitlands Institute Historical Marker
700 N Third Street
Fruitlands Institute, a Rosenwald School, was built in 1929. Rosenwald schools were partially funded by the Rosenwald Fund, established in 1912 by Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Company.
18. Lake Lowery Cemetery
Old Haines City - Lake Alfred Road
This cemetery was originally started by two local churches, Mount Sinai and Bethel. The oldest known grave is dated July 1917. In the 1990s Pastor Williams of the Bethel Church and Albertus Maultsby, the remaining trustee from Mount Sinai Church, transferred ownership of the cemetery to the City of Lake Alfred.
20. The Barn Antiques
167 Co. Road 557A
Established in 1969 by Ednamay Wales, the Barn Antiques has been owned and operated by the Wales family since its beginning. The family travels to England every summer to stock the store with antiques, a tradition started by Ednamay.
Stop in and pick up a copy of our brochure which highlights where these buildings are located.