Historic Sites You Can Visit Here In Lake Alfred
1. Gardner House and Florida Fruitlands Company Office
275 N Rochelle Avenue
This spacious home, built around 1915, was the residence of the Frank C. Gardner family who came to Lake Alfred in 1911 from Fargo, North Dakota. Mr. Gardner originally built a smaller home here on this property which was moved to Pomelo Street when this home was erected.
The smaller building on the property served as the primary office for the Florida Fruitlands Company, a land development company established by Frank C. Gardner, Jim Banks, Ed Pierce, and George Sebring. The building was erected in 1911 and was originally located on the northwest corner of Main Street and Seminole Avenue, a block away from its present location. It was moved here about 1970.
4. Lake Alfred Woman’s Club (now Traveler’s Masonic Lodge)
260 E Pomelo Street
Built in 1920, this building was the Lake Alfred Woman’s Club, originally called the Book and Thimble Club. June Gardner, the wife of Frank C. Gardner, was the first president of the Woman’s Club.
7. Lake Alfred Presbyterian Church - first building
210 N Lake Shore Way
The First Presbyterian Church of Lake Alfred was incorporated in May 1914, and this building was erected the same year. Rev. H. G. Denison was Pastor. The building was occupied by the church until about 1964 and sold in 1972.
2. Frank C. Gardner Park and Veterans Memorial
US Hwy 17/92 at Main Street
The City of Lake Alfred dedicated this park to Frank C. Gardner in June 1995. In 2012 the City embarked on a project to build a memorial to recognize and honor our veterans, and Gardner Park expanded to include this special monument and honorary plaques. For more information please visit https://www.veteransmemoriallakealfred.org
5. Lake Alfred Bank - first building (now Lake Alfred Historical Society Museum)
210 N Seminole Ave
Built in 1921, this building served as Lake Alfred’s first bank until the 1970s when the bank relocated to Lake Shore Way. This building sat empty until the City of Lake Alfred purchased it in 1984 and it eventually became home to the Lake Alfred Historical Society Museum. The museum is also one of two Lake Alfred stops along the Polk County History and Heritage Trail Citrus Label Tour.
8. Lake Alfred Citrus Growers Association (now Lake Alfred Storage)
160 W Haines Blvd
Built in 1921, this building housed the Lake Alfred Citrus Growers Association. Several of Lake Alfred’s most successful citrus businessmen partnered to erect this building, including J M Critchlow and Alexander Mackay.
3. Lake Alfred Hotel (now Southern Gardens Assisted Living)
255 E Main Street
Built around 1913, with an extension added in the mid-1920s, this building was originally the Lake Alfred Hotel. Situated near the railroad depot and the office of the Florida Fruitlands Company, it accommodated many travelers who arrived in Lake Alfred during the land boom.
6. Mexican Crude Rubber Company / Evans Grove Service (now Lake Alfred Chamber of Commerce)
115 E Pomelo Street
The Mexican Crude Rubber Company expanded into Lake Alfred in 1922 when the company invested in the citrus industry. This building was used as the office for their representative, John Evans. In 1929 when the company became more heavily involved in citrus they transformed into the Floridagold Corporation. At that point, the building became the personal office of Mr. Evans and his own business, Evans Grove Service.
9. The Chamberlain Building/Dees Building (now Biggar Antiques)
140 W Haines Blvd
Built in 1920, this was originally known as the Chamberlain Building, and later known as the Dees Building when it was purchased by Wright Dees. The property has housed at various times, the Lake Alfred Public Library, the City Barber Shop, and numerous other retail stores and restaurants.